OpenMusicMedia #11 – The Future of the Record Shop on the 26th May
May 11, 2010
After years of proclaiming the ‘death of the physical format’ we’re still celebrating the traditional independent record shops. While big chains are disappearing or changing their inventory from music to other entertainment products the local record store still seems to have an important role in music discovery and delivery.
- What is the current and future role of independent record shops?
- What is the state of the physical record business?
- With digital music becoming ubiquitous, what does that mean for physical formats?
- What role do record shops provide for a local music scene?
- Will record shops continue to act as a ‘filter’ for music recommendation or are they mainly a point of distribution?
We will meet again in the William IV in East London, a short walk from Old Street station. Sticking to the OpenMusicMedia formula this will be an open conversation and we’re looking forward to everyone’s contribution. All OpenMusicMedia events are free but we appreciate you RSVPing on our facebook event. To get in touch please leave a comment below or send us a message on Twitter. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Wednesday, 26th May 2010 6:00 PM
at the William IV
7 Shepherdess Walk
London, N1 7QE